Thursday, December 13, 2007

holding steady

Mom is home and she should be feeling better soon, I really hope.

Everything feels like it is on hold in my life. I have tried to think of a blog that would not be about my mom, but I can't think of one yet.

My life in these last 2 weeks home have been almost monastical. William is in Sacramento. We know very few people here and have even fewer friends, having moved to southern Oregon almost 5 years ago. I am quite alone. That part is not so hard, but it is cold, rainy and dark here. I have put up lots of christmas lights and that does cheer it up a bit. I put lights on the little cedar tree growing in the yard and light across the back porch. Red lights on the dining room cabinet, white lights on the mantles over the stove. Hard to come back from even a short stay in the tropics, to a northern climate.



I spend a lot of the day waiting to hear how mom is. In between waiting, I put wood in the wood fired hot tub and go in once a day, which has been really good for relaxing, being outdoors and getting warm.



We are having a Winter Solstice Party next week and I have sent out the following invitations:



I love celebrating the solstice, it is non denominational, non cultural - it is planetary! The days start to get a little longer in the Northern Hemisphere and a little shorter in the southern, not man made, nature made. A holiday that is for everyone alive on the planet, a cosmic party, 10:08 Pacific Standard time on December 21st and 1:08 AM Eastern Standard time on December 22.

This is our 4th annual solstice party, last one was at summer solstice. Where in fact it was very cold. There was a cool wind blowing and we dressed for summer and were cold. Last year at the winter solstice party, we knew it would be cold and were very comfortable in front of the bonfire, hanging out outdoors on the longest night of the year. I wish all my friends could be here.

No comments: