Sunday, December 2, 2007

better news

Thanks to everyone who contacted me with prayers and good wishes for my mom.

Since she saw the doc at the cancer center last Wednesday, we have better news. The tumor is very operable and she is scheduled for surgery next Friday. The operation takes about an hour and she can go home the next day. The doctor was, as my mom told it, a very classy woman, and told her that she was a healthy and young 76 year old and everything looked good for the surgery and recovery.

Since the surgery was a week out, I came home with William on Thursday. I could see that my parent's were looking forward to being alone for a week to get themselves together. When and if they need me, I will fly back. It was really hard for me to leave, but sometimes that is the most you can do for someone - give them the absence of you - which gives them their space.

It was very fortuitous that we were there when we were. I think we helped them considerably by being there. My mom's first responce to the cancer diagnosis was, I am not willing to try anything and will just die. I did some research on the internet and told her it was very operable and had a great success rate. I told her about my friends who have battle cancer and survived, Seiza and Jim especially. I told her who cares if you have a plate in your mouth, you can breath, eat, taste, see, and still love. And please don't leave us alone on this planet with dad.....that made her laugh.

My parents are a unit as William likes to say. They have been together since high school. He was the captian of the football team and she was the queen of the prom.

No comments: