Thursday, July 14, 2011

Teotihuacan

just north of Mexico City is one of Mexico's most famous ruins
no one knows who the people who lived there were
or what language they spoke
the city was abandoned hundreds of years before the Aztec came

I was awed by the scale, it was huge
that's the Pyramid of the Moon
located at the end of the Avenue of the Dead
that's obviously not what the people who built it and lived there called it....

it was steep!

going up was way easier than going down

we got up to the top - yeah!!
going to the edge to come back down was like going over a cliff

had a great view down the Avenue from the top
well half way up the top was as far as you could go
to the left is the other large pyramid, the Pyramid of the Sun


it is even bigger than the Pyramid of the Moon

and just as tricky going down
had to go side step

great photo Jacquie, with the sun, cool, thanks!

when we first got there, there was almost no one else there
it was wonderful to experience the energy of the place by ourselves



at one point, Betsy and I left the main avenue
found some shade trees off to the right there to have a smoke
we started looking around and found several potsheds, some with dull red paint
and some with curved lips like in bowls
we thought we had found diamonds, well they were to us

by the time we left the place was packed, vendors and hawkers, crowds
up and down the streets and the pyramids
it was Sunday, and on Sunday it was free for Mexicans
and it was also Father's Day



I would be so proud to be of Mexican heritage
when my grandchildren are older - I am bringing them here
to Teotihuacan


Betsy was there

I was there


who ever the builders were, they were very interesting and creative

this one makes me smile



next - 2nd main reason to come to Mexico City - Diego Rivera's murals


1 comment:

jacquie1062001 said...

Excellent! I'm looking forward to the next part, since I didn't know how to turn off my flash to get pics.