Wednesday, October 17, 2007

another day, another book

this is not a book blog.....


Today I finished "Skinny Dip" by Carl Hiaasen. This was an author I had never heard of and William found this book at the library sale, he knows I love to swim. Well the plot is great, and it tells you in the first paragraph that Chaz threw his wife overboard on a cruise ship on their second anniversary. The wife is talking, she remembers to dive, thinking, "she had been the co-captain of her college swim team, a biographical nugget that her husband obviously had forgotten." and survives to make his life miserable. The dialog in this book is incredibly witty and I laughed out loud several times. The characters are memorable and the twists and turns make it exciting and fun reading. He is a very smooth and easy writer with serious intent. I loved the setting in the Everglades, a perfect place to show the greed, ambition and ego of the American way.

The best part was finding out that he had written 9 other 2 word title books. I can't wait to read them. I always feel better when I know I have something good to read. "Basket Case", "Sick Puppy", "Lucky You", "Stormy Weather", "Strip Tease" (which was made into a feature film starring Demi Moore and Burt Reynolds), "Native Tongue", "Skin Tight", "Double Whammy", "Tourist Season" and a new one soon, "Nature Girl". He even wrote 3 books of nonfiction with 2 word titles, but they have words added on to explain them; "Team Rodent: How Disney Devours the World", "Kick Ass: Selected Columns", I think I am going to like that one, and "Paradise Screwed: Selected Columns". He means Florida, that is where grew up and still lives.

He writes a local column for the Miami Herald. You can read his column at http://www.miamiherald.com/news/columnists/carl_hiaasen/

William and I are traveling to just north of the everglades in a few weeks to visit my parents. White sand beaches, the warm water of the Gulf of Mexico and the best part is that mom and dad have a pool in their yard and I can swim when ever I want. Did I say I love to swim?

No comments: