Saturday, October 6, 2007

Umpqua Writers

I belong to a writers group here in Myrtle Creek. I am glad they let me still come, I have missed so many meetings lately. They met this morning and it was great to see everyone again. I joined this group 4 years ago when I moved to southern Oregon. They were my first friends and they share my love of writing - obviously.

The core group was Pearl, Lynn, Dan, Betty, Spike and Muriel. It is amazing how many things have changed since the first time I met them and then it is amazing how many things are the same.

Pearl is the leader of the group. She says she inherited it from Muriel, who was in the process of moving to Eugene when I started. Muriel was actually visiting today, coming to the meeting on her way south to something. She is a really good writer and is working on her second book about the pioneers in this part of Oregon. Her books are very well researched and quite interesting.

Pearl is the natural leader. She is the one who sends out a newsletter for the group and announces the next meeting. She is an independent thinker, a good writer and a very patience listener. She is an avid Trekkie and writes science fiction among other things. She encourages all of us and keeps us on track.

I guess the group is weighted to science fiction or fantasy, I genre I don't write in. Lynn just self published her first book and it is a fantasy, she is working on the sequel. Dan writes science fiction. He is a very prolific and creative writer, able to make it seem like everything is normal and then wow, something strange happens. He books have great plots, I hope to see them in print one day.

The best part of this morning though was seeing Spike's book! Spike is Betty's cousin, they are in their 80's. Spike come to live with Betty after they were both widowed. She brought him to the group. He was slow to start and very quiet but it soon became obvious that he was a natural storyteller. We listened spell bound every month, to another story of Spike's for his childhood. He had been a cowboy in southern California when that really meant something.

After one writers meeting, a couple of years ago, we are standing out front still talking when we noticed a brand new bright blue Mustang, parked at the curb. We were all surprised when Spike opened the door for Betty. What a guy! Late 80's and he buys a brand new fun car! What a cowboy!

Spike died last year and I really miss him. I am sure I am not the only one. I am so grateful that I got to meet this man and hear him read his stories. Now when I read them they will forever be in his voice. He never wanted to talk about publishing them but after he died, Betty and his daughter put the stories together. The book has old photos and illustrations done by Spike himself.


Spike left the car to Betty, he was a gentleman to the end.

A young Spike

Congratulations on publishing your book Spike!

and thank-you for sharing.

1 comment:

Pearl said...

Interestig comments about today's meeing. I must agree with you about Spike. Such a shame he didn't get to see the beautiful book he had written.
And I really look forward to reading Muriels books when they come out.
BLOG ON!