Friday, October 5, 2007

Homecoming


Tonight William and I went to the local high school homecoming football game with my teacher friends. South Umpqua High School. I taught there for 2 years. The kids I had in Biology I, are now seniors. It was really fun to see them in the band, cheerleading, on the team and as homecoming queen. And surprisingly they were glad to see me. I am going to start substitute teaching, I just got my license renewed and signed up at the district office this very morning.

I miss the kids. When I was teaching I loved the kids, it was the adults who drove me crazy.

In addition to working with kids, I will make twice what I made at my job with the environmental non-profit, that ran out of money to pay me anyway.......

One of the students I had my first year at SU, when I was teaching drama, said he was currently going to Southern Oregon University pursuing a career in acting. He was so grateful for the plays we did and he was glad to see me. I was so happy to hear he was in Ashland, acting, and it was good to see him. I really enjoy young people and I am looking forward to subbing.

Subbing; all of the fun of the kids, none of the responsibility. No grades, meetings, parents, "new" ideas from administrators. No preparation, no papers to read, no deadlines to meet. I could go on.

Oh the part that drove me crazy? The first thing I think of is teaching biology with 15 year old books and then only having one class set (I had 4 classes of Bio I) so no one could take the book home, that meant I had to research everything on the Internet before I presented a subject so I could introduce updated information. Oh and having a Biology II class with no books. I had no curriculum (I choose my own, Environmental Science of course) and bought the books myself on the Internet. And to top that off some new vice principal decides that I have to prove myself to her. Sorry babe, no time.

I hope 5 years from now kids will still be giving me hugs at the football games saying, you were my favorite substitute, like tonight they said, you were my favorite teacher.

No comments: